Agra Fort, located in the city of Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India, is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most iconic monuments in the country. Built in the 16th century, the fort is a stunning example of Mughal architecture and a testament to India's rich history. In this travel guide, we will explore everything you need to know about visiting Agra Fort.
History of Agra Fort
Agra Fort was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1565, and it served as the main residence of the emperors of the Mughal Dynasty until 1638. The fort was later renovated and expanded by Emperor Shah Jahan, who added several structures, including the famous Diwan-i-Khas and the beautiful Moti Masjid. During the British colonial era, the fort was used as a military garrison, and several of its structures were destroyed.
Today, Agra Fort is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. It is a testament to India's rich cultural heritage and an example of the country's impressive architectural achievements.
What to See at Agra Fort
Agra Fort is a massive structure that spans over 2.5 kilometers in length. The fort has four gates, including the Delhi Gate, the Amar Singh Gate, the Water Gate, and the Hathi Pol. Some of the must-see attractions at Agra Fort include:
- Diwan-i-Khas: This beautiful structure was built by Emperor Shah Jahan in 1636 and served as a private audience hall for the emperor. The Diwan-i-Khas is known for its stunning architectural details, including its marble columns and beautiful jali work.
- Diwan-i-Aam: This structure served as the public audience hall for the Mughal emperors. It was built by Akbar in 1571 and is known for its beautiful carvings and paintings.
- Jahangir Palace: This stunning palace was built by Emperor Akbar for his son Jahangir. The palace is known for its beautiful gardens, stunning architecture, and intricate carvings.
- Khas Mahal: This beautiful palace was built by Shah Jahan in the 17th century and served as the emperor's private residence. It is known for its beautiful marble work, intricate carvings, and stunning views of the Yamuna River.
- Moti Masjid: This beautiful mosque was built by Emperor Shah Jahan and is known for its beautiful white marble architecture.
Visiting Agra Fort
Agra Fort is located in the city of Agra and is easily accessible by car or public transportation. The fort is open every day from sunrise to sunset, and tickets can be purchased at the gate or online.
It is recommended to hire a guide to fully appreciate the beauty and history of Agra Fort. Most guides charge a small fee and can provide valuable insights into the fort's history, architecture, and significance.
When visiting Agra Fort, it is recommended to wear comfortable clothing and footwear as the fort involves a lot of walking. It is also recommended to carry a water bottle, hat, and sunscreen as the fort can get very hot and sunny during the day.
In conclusion, Agra Fort is a stunning example of India's rich history and cultural heritage. It is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Agra or the surrounding areas. With its stunning architecture, beautiful gardens, and rich history, Agra Fort is a testament to India's impressive architectural achievements.