India is a land of diverse cultures and traditions, and it's no different when it comes to celebrating Christmas. The holiday season is the perfect time to explore the country's unique Christmas festivities. From midnight mass and carol singing to feasting and exchanging gifts, Christmas in India is a joyous occasion that brings together people from all walks of life. Here are the 10 best places to celebrate Christmas in India:
- Goa Goa is a popular destination for Christmas in India, thanks to its Portuguese heritage. The state is decked up with Christmas lights, and the churches are adorned with beautiful decorations. Visitors can attend midnight mass at one of the many churches, followed by a lively Christmas party on the beaches.
- Kolkata Kolkata is known for its vibrant Christmas celebrations. The Park Street area is famous for its decorations, and the St. Paul's Cathedral is a must-visit during the festive season. The city is also famous for its food, and visitors can indulge in Christmas delicacies like plum cake and minced pies.
- Shillong Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, is a picturesque hill station that is perfect for a winter holiday. The city's vibrant Christian community celebrates Christmas with traditional carols and midnight mass. Visitors can also enjoy the stunning natural beauty of the region, with waterfalls and scenic drives.
- Mumbai Mumbai is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in India, and Christmas is a big event here. The city's churches, like the iconic Mount Mary Church, are beautifully decorated, and there are plenty of Christmas parties to attend. Visitors can also go on a Christmas shopping spree in the city's many malls.
- Delhi The capital city of India, Delhi, has a large Christian population that celebrates Christmas with great zeal. The churches are beautifully decorated, and visitors can attend midnight mass at the Sacred Heart Cathedral. The city's famous street food scene also comes alive during Christmas.
- Pondicherry Pondicherry is a former French colony that has retained its European charm. The city's Christmas celebrations are a mix of French and Indian traditions, with carols, feasts, and midnight mass. Visitors can also enjoy the city's beaches and explore its colonial architecture.
- Kerala Kerala is known for its natural beauty, and Christmas is a great time to explore the state. The churches are beautifully decorated, and visitors can attend midnight mass at the famous St. Francis Church in Kochi. The state is also famous for its food, and visitors can indulge in traditional Christmas delicacies like appam and stew.
- Chennai Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu, is known for its elaborate Christmas celebrations. The Santhome Basilica is a must-visit during the festive season, and visitors can attend midnight mass and participate in carol singing. The city's famous Marina Beach is also a great place to soak up the festive atmosphere.
- Manali Manali is a popular winter destination in India, and Christmas is a great time to visit. The town is decorated with lights, and visitors can attend midnight mass at the local church. The town is also a great place for winter sports like skiing and snowboarding.
- Darjeeling Darjeeling is another picturesque hill station that is perfect for a Christmas holiday. The town's churches are beautifully decorated, and visitors can attend midnight mass and enjoy traditional carols. The town is also famous for its tea plantations, and visitors can go on a scenic tea tour.
In conclusion, India has a lot to offer when it comes to Christmas celebrations. From the beaches of Goa to the hill stations of Darjeeling, there's something for everyone. So, pack your bags and head to one of these destinations for